Third Cliff is a historic neighborhood in Scituate overlooking the Scituate Harbor. The early English settlers in the 1600s designated four communities in Scituate, naming them for the four distinct bluffs running along the eastern coast. Third Cliff was originally all farmland but gradually evolved into a residential neighborhood with the rise of the mossing industry in the mid-1800s. The Rivermoor enclave located at the southern end of the area was a summer colony originally developed by George Welch in 1906. The Welch family is tightly coupled with much of the area’s history — what is now the Scituate Country Club was originally a Welch family home built in the early 1800s.
In addition to spectacular views from many of the residential properties in the neighborhood, Third Cliff is also home to one of the most photographed views in Scituate. The Spit boardwalk or walk out to the beach from Third Cliff is prized by visitors and residents alike for its serene views of the water and marshes especially during the so-called golden hours (before mid-morning or late afternoon).