Fisher Hill Real Estate
Fisher Hill is a secluded, residential neighborhood located next to the Fisher Hill Reservoir in Brookline. The area is also variously known as Brookline Hill, Mount Vernon and Henshaw Hill and is considered one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Brookline. The community is home to some of the largest and most expensive estates in the area, framed by mature trees and and gently winding roads. Early investors in the community hired Frederick Law Olmstead, the architect who designed New York City’s Central Park, to develop a plan for optimizing lot sizes while taking advantage of Fisher Hill’s natural, hilly topology. The result is a picturesque enclave with stately homes situated on generous lots. Early residents lobbied to name the area to the National Register Historic District, ensuring that the large single-family mansions built in the 1800s were preserved as originally conceived rather than broken up into condos or apartments. Read more about Fisher Hill real estate.
Fisher Hill Homes & Condos For Sale
More About Fisher Hill Real Estate
Fisher Hill Location
Fisher Hill is bounded on the south by Massachusetts Route 9; and on the west by Chestnut Hill Avenue, Baxter Road, and Channing Road. The area’s eastern boundary runs along Buckminster Street to Dean Road, joining the northern boundary of Clinton Road. Fisher Hill is located near the Chestnut Hill Avenue and Reservoir Stops on the MBTA Green Line and is approximately six miles from Downtown Boston.
Fisher Hill History
Fisher Hill is named for Francis Fisher, a prominent resident and Boston merchant who built his estate on the corner of Boylston Street and Chestnut Avenue in 1852. Fisher Hill grew in the early 1800s when wealthy families settled there to build their summer estates, seeking a location that offered a sanctuary from the busy streets of Boston but was still convenient. In addition to Francis Fisher, Fisher Hill maintains a long list of prominent residents, who largely occupied the base of the hill. Dr. Zabdiel Boylston who introduced the first small pox vaccination in 1721, owned a farm in the area near the Reservoir in the 18th century.