Coolidge Corner Real Estate
Coolidge Corner sits at the intersection of Harvard and Beacon Streets in North Brookline. The area takes its name from a family-operated general store in the 1800s at the site of today’s S.S. Pierce Building, which for many years was the only commercial business in the neighborhood. Coolidge Corner is Brookline’s shopping center and while it houses a number of national retailers, it continues to be dominated by smaller, independent boutiques, shops and eateries. The area is pedestrian-friendly and distinguished by several landmark buildings, including the octagonal clock tower of the S.S. Pierce Building and the Arcade Building, which features a two-story atrium with a variety of small shops.
The housing inventory on quieter streets outside the square is largely centered on condos and multi-family homes with few single-family residences on the market. The area’s close proximity to Downtown Boston and the Longwood Medical area, combined with Brookline’s top-rated schools, continue to serve as major draws for young families and working professionals looking to move to Brookline. Read more about Coolidge Corner real estate.
Coolidge Corner Homes & Condos For Sale
More About Coolidge Corner Real Estate
Coolidge Corner Location
Coolidge Corner is served by its own “C Train" MBTA Stop on the Green Line and has a number of buses running along Harvard Street at all hours of the day into Harvard Square and other parts of the city. While parking is difficult in the Square, Coolidge Corner is just four miles from Downtown Boston.
Coolidge Corner History
Coolidge Corner developed as a streetcar suburb in the 1800s and today maintains a high walkability index with its quaint coffee shops and small boutiques. A second wave of development in 1920 - 1930 resulted in construction of the Art Deco Bank (now a Bank of America branch) and the Arcade Building on Harvard Street. Brookline and Coolidge Corner, in particular, continue to serve as Jewish strongholds. After many of Boston’s Jewish neighborhoods were wiped out during the 20th century, Brookline’s Jewish community grew during the early 1900s and culminated in the creation of two major synagogues, which had relocated from Boston. At one time, Brookline Jews gathered on the second floor of the S. S. Pierce Building while they were acquiring properties.