Cambridgeport Real Estate
Cambridgeport is a dense and diverse neighborhood located between Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Despite its urban setting, Cambridgeport is home to a number of parks, including Magazine Beach along the Charles River. Many of the area’s 12,000 residents have lived there for years and cite the close-knit sense of community as well as stellar public school system as strong draws. The neighborhood is also easily accessible by public transit and convenient to both Boston and to the Mass Pike. Cambridgeport residents are blessed with a relatively low property tax rate because the mix of commercial, pharmaceutical and biotech industries in the city help keep residential property taxes down. Single-family homes don’t go on the market often but tend to be a mix of Victorians and the triple decker style common in New England. Read more about Cambridgeport real estate.
Cambridgeport Homes & Condos For Sale
More About Cambridgeport Real Estate
Cambridgeport is bounded by Massachusetts Avenue to the north; the Charles River to the south; MIT to the east; and River Street to the west. Central Square is the main neighborhood commercial center and includes an MBTA Red Line Station as well as serves as a hub for many MBTA bus routes.
At 17 acres, Magazine Beach is Cambridge’s second largest park hugging the Charles River between the Boston University Bridge and Pleasant Street. The park is home to playing fields, an outdoor Olympic-size swimming pool, as well as natural wildlife.
Magazine Beach houses several structures of historic interest in Cambridgeport. An 1818 Powder Magazine is the oldest building on the Charles River Basin while the 1912 boathouse of the Riverside Boat Club is the last remaining working mans’ club on the river. Fort Washington, located at 95 Waverly Street, is the oldest surviving fortification built under orders from General George Washington during the Revolutionary War. Today, the park features three cannons brought there in 1858.
Cambridgeport also claims the honor of manufacturing the first Fig Newton cookie in 1891 at the Kennedy Steam Bakery. The company named all of their bakery products after surrounding communities — in this case, the Fig Newton was named for nearby Newton, MA.