Brewster Historic District
The Brewster Historic District consists primarily of the area along Route 6A, more formally known as Old King's Highway Regional Historic District, as well as the area along Long Pond Road. The Old King's Highway district stretches for approximately three miles along Route 6A. The town of Brewster was settled in 1656 as a parish of Harwich, later separating from Harwich and incorporating as a town in 1803. The area grew quickly over the years as the Stony Brook Gristmill was built, helping to drive the local economy. The town appealed to rich sea captains who built grand mansions for their families as symbols of their prosperity. Many of these elegant properties survive today as single family homes as well as quaint bed and breakfasts.