Brant Rock is a historic neighborhood within the Ocean Bluff-Brant Rock area of Marshfield. Originally known as “Branch’s Island,” Brant Rock was so named because of the huge rock outcropping along the beach on which brant geese would alight. The area was used as a fishing and cattle grazing outpost during the 17th - 19th centuries and later served as the site for summer resort hotels and tourist shops in the late 19th century. In 1906, Brant Rock made the history books when the first two-way transatlantic radiotelegraph transmission took place in Morse code between Brant Rock and Scotland. On Christmas Eve in the same year, history was made again when Brant Rock Station transmitted the first audio radio broadcast of music — the song “O Holy Night.”
Together with Ocean Bluff, Brant Rock comprises five public beaches including Sunrise Beach, Ocean Bluff Beach, Brant Rock Beach, Blackman’s Point, and Bluefish Cove. Brant’s Rock Beach is popular for its esplanade running along Ocean Street and for its namesake stone jetty overlooking the water.